Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters: Jane Austen with an adaptation by Ben Winters

In this twist of Austen's classic, the Dashwood sisters are send to a mysterious island where they are left at the mercy of stormy seasons, violent octopi battles, and frightening sea monsters of a lively variety.  In an interesting twist, Colonel Brandon is now a tentacle-covered yet kind individual with eyes only for sweet yet misguided Marianne.  The sisters must fight against their own short-comings, biases, and aversion to those who might be squid-like.  

I must admit, at first I was a little skeptical of any variation to my beloved Austen classics.  However, I simply cannot express fully how much I enjoyed this book! Making Brandon a sea-creature has significant affect on the story, and teaches the reader to love based on personality, kindness and courage; not get caught up in appearance. 

Grade Level:8.7